Thursday 14 August 2014

Robin Williams and Depression

You may have heard very recently that Robin Williams - a very wonderful and amazing actor, stand up comedian, screenwriter and director - passed away earlier this week. I, as well as others, were very saddened by this as we lost a very great man due to his depression; a medical problem, we and science do not fully understand.
So far it is understood that he passed away due to asphyxia from hanging himself. I will not be dwelling on his suicide in this post. I shall instead be writing about the cruel illness of depression.
Depression is a very serious condition which can lead to disastrous outcomes for those who are suffering from the illness, and for those who care and love the sufferer. It often occurs due to a person not feeling good enough or feeling as if they do not have any effect on outcomes and situations, as if they are not at all needed in this world. I'm sure we've all felt like this at sometime in our lives, but depression occurs when a person feels like this all the time. It isn't a nice feeling as I, myself have been upset and depressed for long periods of time, though I haven't had it as bad as others.
Depression can be set in to motion by many different scenarios ranging from a death of a friend or family member, to being disposed of in a relationship, and to feeling as if you've been left with nothing in life.

Depression is often started by a large sudden change in a persons life, or several small changes that all suddenly hit home all at the same time. what ever the reason may be, do not harass or belittle the person who is upset as it could well happen to you one day when you need as much help as you can get. This is where the idea of being kind and doing a nice deed each and every day comes in, as small things like these can make a persons day. Anything ranging from a compliment, to a gift or bouquet of flowers, to even a happy smile and nod in their direction.
I'm not saying to go out and go crazy, buy them everything under the sun, suddenly become interested in everything they say or do as this will either do nothing for them or make them worse. You've got to remember that time is a great healer and doing small things over a long period of time is the way to go about things. remember that slow and steady wins the race.
Another thing they can do to try and feel better is to try getting healthier. Anything helps this from eating healthier to doing more exercise. even taking a multivitamin tablet each day can help make a person feel better. of course, remember to do and eat the things you enjoy but please try to ration these things, as too little and too much can cause a person to worsen.
There is a lot more that needs to be done, and that a person suffering from depression should go and consult a doctor. this is just here for those who witness or know someone who is depressed.
One last thing you should do if you think some one is suffering from depression is to take note of the things they say or do. often a person who suffers from depression can seem very happy and content. lets give an example, if two people have just had they're legs broken, and after this has happened one person complains in agony and another doesn't and is very quiet, which one do you help first? it's the quiet one, as the other can't be in much pain if they still have energy to complain about their broken legs. I know that this goes against what you may first think but it's true.
The same idea works for depression. If a person, you know or have noticed does not complain and seems very happy and content please question it. it may not be depression, It could be something else, but it's always good to know.
Obviously, please remember as well that a person suffering from depression not attention seeking.

Earlier today, I read a story in the Metro about Robin Williams which intrigued me and proves the point above about a person who suffers in silence. many witnessed him joke and laugh about committing suicide in the past in some of his stand up comedy shows. he also suffered from drug and drinking problems in recent years. this was his way of coping with his depression. he also once said that he almost committed suicide before. it was while he was alone in a hotel room while he was drunk. he thought and planned to commit suicide but he thought long and hard about it and realised it was the alcohol talking. he described the feeling as if he was standing on the ledge of a building and a little voice in the back of his mind said 'Jump'. This time his depression got the better of him and resulted in his passing. No knew of his possibility of committing suicide as no one took notice and just judge him as being happy and content, but please be wary. I'm not only writing this due to the sudden passing of Robin Williams but also due to a close friend who I hold dear.
They may not realise it, but if they were not here all of a sudden, I'm not sure what I would do. they almost did the same as Robin; and I, as well as several others, almost lost a close, dear, kind, caring friend and I'm very happy that I didn't. it is because of my friends near suicide success that I realised that all was not well. I did not realise before hand or at the time. I only found out about it couple of months later when they decided to tell me. you may have realised that I did not mention their name or their gender in this. the reason why is because I think it wouldn't be fair of me and that I would be destroying all sense of trust between us. the only reason I am telling you about this is because I feel it important to remind you that depression can happen to anyone. lastly, all I can say about this person is, when they told me about it, I didn't know what to do or how to help. I managed to contain my emotions for 5 minutes until I burst into tears at the very thought of losing them.

Please remember that if you or any one know suffers from depression or anything along similar lines, please seek help. Suicide maybe an extreme problem which stems from depression but it can happen to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment